Author, Multi-Media Producer And Former U.S. Air Force Public Affairs Superintendent.
Travels From: Washington, DC
Speaking Fee: Please contact for more information (615-681-6588)
Categories: African American Studies, Research Tools, Fiction Book Writing 101, Using Multi Media Communication
Michael R. Pope
Michael R. Pope Topics
What is the Lincoln’s Ghetto Book Series?
Lincoln’s Ghetto is a place many of you may call home. Our 16th president may have freed the slaves but in doing so he did not have a developed plan or idea to best assimilate the newly freed Africans into the American Society. Did he even have a plan? If so, how were reparations part of it? If there were to be reparations, that year of emancipation would have been the optimum time to issue payments. But we know how that worked out. Here is a quote from presidential candidate Lincoln in his fourth debate with Stephen A. Douglas in Charleston, Illinois on September 18, 1858 - “I will state that I’m not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and the black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.”
• Explore the implications of the fictional theme of the story
• Engage in what would be different in their lives if there was a reparations policy attached to the emancipation
• Enjoy the possibilities fiction writing brings to bear on exploring larger issues for others to use as tools to understand better
• Like building an avatar, participants will world build for a fiction story they want to create
Why Write Books
In the age of scrolling, the art of story telling is even more important to better speak to people who are seeking more information or need to better understand issues, history, and specific topics at a deeper level. Books provide a vessel of knowledge to do that. Be it non-fiction or fiction, like You Tube, books provide people a more comprehensive source of information. If one is in business or is starting a business, writing books will help build their platform and credibility. Our lives matter and we all have a story to tell. Book writing provides us a way to interpret the world in our personal view. The book can provide a personal legacy that can be seen by many, including our families.
• Discuss the difference between scrolling devices verses using books to find information
• View ways they can use books to build their brand
• Be inspired to take the writing challenge
• Explore the benefits of becoming a professional author
• Peak there curiosities about using their own lives as a foundation to begin writing
• Discover a way to make a good living as an author